Openings at Clubhouses
Clubhouse Americorps Fellowship, Museum of Science (Boston, MA)
Openings at the Clubhouse Network
Computer Clubhouse Americorps STEAM Teen Internship Fellow, Museum of Science (Boston, MA)
Massachusetts Promise Fellows deliver the
resources that young people need to be successful in life by mobilizing and organizing
community activity, creating and leading powerful initiatives, and training and inspiring citizen
The Massachusetts Promise Fellowship achieves this by placing Fellows with non-profit organizations and state/local government agencies that focus on fulfilling the needs of our youth by providing; a caring adult, a safe place, a healthy start, a marketable skill, and an opportunity to give back.
The Computer Clubhouse is a creative after-school learning environment where youth from underserved and low-income communities work with adult mentors to develop projects related to their own interests, build skills, and gain confidence in themselves through the use of technology. The Flagship Computer Clubhouse, located at the Museum of Science, serves youth from Boston’s many neighborhoods, and has much to offer them to inspire their creativity, including the latest professional software and hardware. The STEAM Teen Internship Fellow will be responsible for overseeing the development of new teen internship opportunities that are production-based and rooted in creative self-expression or “STEAM” (STEM plus the Arts) projects. He or she will lead a small group of Clubhouse members in the production of three major multimedia projects for Adobe Youth Voices. The Fellow will also explore social media and blogging by creating and guiding a monthly post on the topic of “Youth in Technology” on the Flagship’s blog. The Fellow will support efforts to educate young people on college and career paths by helping to expose Clubhouse members to events, activities, college tours and fun, thematic social outings. Finally, they will place a special emphasis on STEM careers and ensuring participation from young women.
- Support 15 teen interns over the course of the year
- Engage a diverse group of young people, parents, teachers, and community leaders in the Clubhouse program
- Assist teen interns to develop relevant and meaningful “STEAM” (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) activities or creative media projects
- Guide and coach teens in peer mentoring of younger participants
- Support Clubhouse Manager in recruiting and training volunteer mentors
- Support youth in pursuing academic and job opportunities, including planning field trips to colleges and companies.
- Provide administrative support for intern program, including keeping records of participants and communicating with parents and community members
- Develop blog postings to recruit and retain youth
- Travel at least once/month to Fellowship meetings, retreats, and training throughout the Commonwealth
This position is temporary, full-time, from August 2013 through July 2014. The weekly schedule for this position is Tuesday – Saturday, 11 am – 7 pm weekdays; 10 am – 6 pm Saturdays.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- An interest in and commitment to national and community service
- Proven track record working with youth from underserved neighborhoods
- Work experience in an informal learning environment or educational setting
- Demonstrated interest in technology as a creative and empowering tool
- Some experience with media production, “Make” culture, or other engineering-oriented pursuits such as electronics, robotics, as well as more traditional arts and crafts
- Interpersonal skills, including an ability to get along with people of diverse backgrounds and abilities
- Passion for learning and helping others to learn
- Must be willing to comply with a criminal background check and FBI fingerprint check
- Must be a US Resident, US National or Permanent Resident Alien
For a one year full-time commitment and 1700 hours of AmeriCorps service Fellows receive:
- A taxable living allowance of $269/week
- Comprehensive health care benefits
- Excellent training opportunities
- FREE courses at Northeastern University in the College of Professional Studies
- Loan forbearance and a $5,550 educational award
The Museum of Science Fellow will also receive free parking in the Museum garage, T accessibility, free Exhibit Halls admission and Omni and Planetarium shows, free Duck Tours, discounts in the Museum store and cafe, discounted movie passes, and reciprocal admission to various cultural institutions in the area and nation.
TO APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY IN OUR DIVERSE AND DYNAMIC WORK ENVIRONMENT, SUBMIT YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Human Resources Department
Museum of Science
Boston, MA 02114
Fax: (617) 589-0362
Visit www.mos.org/jobs for our most up-to-date employment listings. No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application. The Museum of Science is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Computer Clubhouse Mentor Internship
The Clubhouse is an after-school learning environment where young people explore their own interests and become confident learners thorough the use of technology. Mentors are a key part of the Clubhouse community, supporting the learning and exploration of clubhouse members. Mentors provide assistance, support and encouragement to Clubhouse Members.
Visit http://www.mos.org/internships for more information.
Openings from around the Network
Please check back soon!
Contact the Director of the Intel Computer Clubhouse Network to inquire about employment opportunities email@example.com (617) 589-0387.